Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Little Shoppe of Horrors

As we approach the July 4th weekend market, where there will be tons of folks scrambling for everything we can possibly load into our booth. People who will want melons ( i think its a little early) and wonder where are the apples? Not that we sell either of those, but other folks at the market do; when they are in season.

Some folks don't know what the difference between conventional and organic produce is, and why organic can be more expensive. There was a time when I didn't know. And when I thought local meant grown in Pop's back yard. And Pop surely wouldn't use chemicals to grow. right?
Farmers Markets are not only a point of sale but also an opportunity for education. Some folks don't know where, when or how. Just FEED ME. Some do. Some already know.

Last week a middle school aged girl was at the market with her grandmother and the girl was amazed "you grow all this stuff yourselves? Everything? Wow, that's cool" .
I realized that she was offering a compliment to us. She really cared that it took a lot of work to do this and was thanking us. I proudly said "thank you very much, it is a tough job and it's people like you that make it worthwhile." and that was mostly it. but I think that she understood it was hard & there were lots of veggies. Maybe she grew a squash for science class and saw the constant care needed.
But I created a happy thought that she would be one of those future grownups who asked where & how it was grown. I was so surprised by her interest that I didn't engage her as much as I wish I did. I would have asked her if she ate beets or if she wanted to try some arugula. Maybe she will be back.

I guess my soapbox moment here is that if you know about organic farming; help those who aren't aware to understand what it takes to be a farmer, and if it's your thing, how organic farming can work. It might have to be administered in small doses.

Some topics to begin talking about food:
• what is seasonal eating
• why eating local is good for our economy
• how to cook a particular item from the farmer
• books that are fun to read about eating locally
• the dirty dozen - fruits and veggies that are best when organic
• and if you are feeling brave, chat about GMOs and CAFOs

And don't forget that it is okay to do your best and not do everything.


The best advice is to KNOW YOUR FARMER.

See you at your local Farmers Market

No comments:

Post a Comment