Sunday, April 10, 2011

i have a confession

I'm in love. I have been since the very first moment. You can do no wrong. Everything about you exudes perfection. Sustainable? You are the epitome of recycling. Your motto is "Leave it, I'll take care of it". I mean who wouldn't love you?

I can give a million reasons why you are the light of my life and in the process convince others that they need you too. The first time I heard about what you do, I was curious. I mean; I knew you were out there and that you were important to my life, but the speed and enormity of how you do what you do? Well.... that just SENT me.

In the year since I first heard about you, I began my obsession. Before I could approach you I wanted to learn all about YOU and where you like to live and what you like to eat and what you liked to sleep in. People who knew you said how simple your requirements were, and that I could easily have you. But I wouldn't rest until I knew the BEST way to take care of you.

I followed you on youtube, I met you at Monticello, and finally found the confidence to approach you after PASA. But first I wanted to have a home that you would appreciate and stock it with plenty of food for you, and a lovely warm space to sleep. And then, when I was satisfied that you might consider me, I called for you. And you came. EPIC.

I let you settle in this week and I hope that you and your kin are happy. Eisenia foetida, I am so happy you are here. I plan to feed you lotsa garbage and I expect plenty of crap outta YA!


Here are some construction photos of the NEW PLACE. And then some shots of homecoming...






I used 2 standard rubbermaid bin and drilled holes in it. I also added a drain spout in the bottom bin for all the worm tea. they will live in the top bin. The tea can be used to water plants and has many nutrients that feed & ward off disease. I have heard of lawns being fed by compost tea. No chemicals!



Bedding of choice newspaper & cardboard. Yum Yum kitchen waste, more bedding and some dirt. I aged the contents for easier digestion. So much recycling! and it will turn into delish dirt!!!!







you came in a tiny duffel bag and quickly got to work on the new place!
The bag was about a pd of wigglers. and should be enough for one person's waste
I hope you are happy!


Being a 'FARM' we are gonna need a name for this here R BAR .... so let the contest begin....
post your ideas for our worm farm... you will win BIG PRIZES!

If you don't have an outdoor compost try a worm bin, the turnover from refuse to dirt is miraculous & there really is no smell if you keep the wet/dry balance correct and feed them what they like. they don't escape because they don't like light. easy!

Here are some facts!
First I want to say that this type of compost happens much faster than the standard compost. I mean the worms EAT! the stuff! and leave DIRT! fast!! no odor! just amazing. how can you not love that!!?

Plant waste, veggie & fruit waste, cardboard & newspaper are enjoyed!
grain, bread, pasta, tea bags, coffee grounds and manure of vegetarian animals ( not recently wormed! of course) garden debris and grass clippings.
Dairy , meat, fish, citrus are not enjoyed.
remember to keep it balanced. not too wet, not dry, remember the worms in the summer who got caught out in the tarmac? we dont want that!
Tear the cardboard & paper in to small pieces, let the food stuffs get soft. not rotten but like 2 days old. Leaves are food and bedding.
They will multiply their numbers to keep up with the amount of food.
They can't tolerate too high or low temps. 34º-84º are acceptable

Use a zonal application; when you apply more waste, put it in 1/3rd of the bin, when they eat that use the next 1/3rd. The worms will move where the food is & leave the poop behind. wuka wuka....
You will eventually have to get the poop outta there. or move the wigglers to another bin. plan to harvest approx every 3 months. I will let you know how fast the tea is brewed!
this can be a lesson for the next worm installment... stay tuned

NAME THE WORM FARM CONTEST!! enter today!!

3 comments: