Sunday, April 17, 2011

vintage is everything

Is it any surprise that something built in the 19th & 20th century would be desirable to us now in the 21st. I supose it depends what it is & who you are. As a small farm where we plant by hand, or occasionally the sometimes dreaded darthvader seeder, this particular item is VERY DESIRABLE.

de·sir·a·ble–adjective 1.wworth having or wanting; pleasing, excellent, or fineorth

having or wanting; pleasing, excellent, or fine having or wanting; pleasing, excel

Look at this fine fella in a tie planting his garden



You better believe I am building this sucker up... these things cost mucho bucko buddy. well not as much as a john deere, but not far off.... depends on your financial perspective I 'spose...
This particular model hails from the 30's ( we think) and has been very well taken care of. The logos are still on it. and there is very little rust. and certainly no rust through.

It is truly a beautiful thing, and by that I mean Ebay. We longed for months for just the right seeder. We considered one that was really rusty, thank goodness we were outbid. We considered a brand new one..... for a hot second. When the time was right we were the winning bid.

And it's a dandy, we wouldn't take twice what it cost to be without it.

It came with some assembly required. Ain't it purdy? I could have a photographic field day. But I'm farming & the point is to get seed in the ground dangit.
It has Pinion Drive Gear this works the drills that lay the seed. ( I think)
I'm not a mechanic but I play one on the farm.


So we called in a Sr. Farmer to help with the assembly, I can attest to his abilities; as I know for a fact he assisted Santa in some midnight construction. Oh, and he used to farm & schtuff.

Allow me to introduce the Triple H, The Harry, The Howeth, The Godfather, The Daddy.
Here he is helping make sense of the parts and lack of an owners manual. In this photo he & hattie discuss the finer points of seed droppin.


I mean look how purdy!!! And she's a big boned gal. If you are weak the day you are planting you might want your assistant to carry her out to the bed you want to plant.... cause we can't guarantee the plate will disengage completely for her to roll out (to) the bed....

The Planet Jr. way.....Planting must be regular, accurate, at the proper depth and in a narrow line, to make after-cultivation easy and to produce a large, even crop.

I'm still not sure where they got the name Planet Jr. and with the logo of a saturn type planet... except that they were ahead of their time in the think globally concept. what say ye?


ANNOUNCEMENT: I discovered the subscribe gadget for the blog! so it is my belief that if you subscribe you will get some kinda notice in your email that there is a new post!! exciting!!



3 comments:

  1. So, where is this "subscribe" button?? I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's actually called follow by email. upper right corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. just above the list of followers... not ALL the way at the top

    ReplyDelete