Monday, May 7, 2012

Froggie Went a Courtin'

This garden toad was hanging out with me at Hattie's while I sowed some seeds of TOADily cool veggies.  I couldn't resist whipping out my camera & chasing him around the bed. I am sure I was stressing him out, but he lived to croak another day.

The toad lived in harmony and mutual benefit with the gardener for hundreds of years.  Changes in gardening have been at the expense of the toads. Not only with machinery but also from chemicals, such as  atrazine, banned in Europe, but widely used in the US, is an endocrine disruptor and can cause toads to be hermaphrodites among other things.

Toads serve as indicators of environmental health. They are natural predators of bugs and are a food source for birds and mammals. It is our duty as humans to protect these small creatures.

This guy has some interesting color & markings, I was unable to make an ID, but generically I think garden toad with cool marks, works. Check in if you have knowledge of what he is.

My friend JenZ, had some ideas for a caption contest....

‎"Go ahead, kiss me. But I ain't makin' no promises." 

"I'm an Aquarius...you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment